Easy as A-B-C, 1-2-3
This year likely gave you some new insight into the role of teachers; whether you have kiddos or not, you’ve seen the impact of educators on our city. So let’s give them a hand shall we? May 3rd - 7th, 2021 is Teacher Appreciation Week, and now more than ever, New Memphis wants to make sure you’re equipped to thank the teachers in your life.
New Memphis knows that great leadership is needed in every corner of our community — from the board room to the classroom. Educators are essential leaders in our community as their impact and investment is critical to our city’s future success. At New Memphis, we believe it’s paramount to recognize the contribution of our best educators, to learn from their experiences, and to support them in their growth. Their work is transformational to students, fellow educators and Memphis as a whole. So we’re making it easy for you to celebrate all of the educators in your life.
EVERYONE (You don’t have to be a parent to care about our city’s educators!):
- Nominate the teacher for a New Memphis Educators of Excellence Award
- Deliver flowers to the school in your neighborhood
- Contact local officials to advocate for more resources for schools and/or for changes in education policy
- Make a donation to a charity in a teacher’s honor
- Connect a teacher to ongoing development opportunities like the New Memphis Stride program (for new educators 1-3 years into their career) or Teachers’ Lounge event series (for all educators K-12)
- Collect donated books to expand a teacher’s classroom library
- Offer to decorate a bulletin board or disinfect a classroom
PARENT-SPECIFIC: (includes all items listed above + more!)
- Write a card letting teachers know the impact they’ve had on your child
- Tell your school's administrators what specifically the teacher is doing well
- Email your child’s teacher a gift card for a local restaurant or shop
- Create a homemade gift basket together with your child and mail it or drop it off to your teacher
- Volunteer for the school’s PTO or for an event at your school
- Ask what supplies they might need more of that you can have shipped to their school or dropped off
What other ideas do you have to share the love with teachers? Let us know on Facebook or Instagram!
P.S. If you own a business or organization and would like to donate an item for a teacher giveaway, contact erin [at] newmemphis [dot] org