Job Alert! Southeastern Asset Management is hiring!
Southeastern Asset Management Inc. (SAM), a global investment advisory firm with $9 billion in assets under management, has an immediate need for an Accountant in our headquarters located in Memphis, TN.
SAM manages separate accounts and is investment advisor to the Longleaf Partners Funds, a series of four US mutual funds, as well as two Irish domiciled UCITS Funds.
The Accountant is responsible for certain day-to-day functions for the Finance Department and other operational accounting areas. This includes all aspects of accounts payable for SAM and its subsidiaries, and all aspects of Fund Accounting for our Private Funds. Other responsibilities may also include assistance with the Portfolio Accounting area.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Accounting, a minimum of 3 years prior work experience (preferably public accounting), a working knowledge of general accounting concepts, and an intermediate/advanced understanding of Microsoft Excel and Word.
Please see the attached job description for a more in-depth explanation of job functions and qualifications.
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to JOBS [at] SEASSET [dot] COM.
Reports To: CFO
(This document describes the Accountant position currently available. It is not an employment contract. Southeastern Asset Management, Inc. (SAM) reserves the right to modify job duties or job descriptions at any time.)
The Accountant is responsible for certain day-to-day functions for the Finance Department and other operational accounting areas. This includes processing all accounts payable for SAM and its subsidiaries, and all aspects of Fund Accounting for our Private Funds. Other responsibilities may also include assistance with the Portfolio Accounting area.
While diverse in nature, it is anticipated that the primary role will be processing vendor payables (estimated to be 50% of time) and serve as the Fund Accountant for our Private Fund Vehicles (estimated to be 30% of time). As with many positions at SAM, one of the most important characteristics will be the ability to operate effectively in the routine and day to day tasks, as well as the dynamic and ever evolving challenges of the job.
1. Perform Accounts Payable function for all SAM entities.
2. Prepare check and electronic payments (domestic and international wires and ACH), for all SAM entities.
3. Ensure all documents are maintained electronically and accessible through the SAM network.
4. Provide support, as requested by the CFO, to SAM colleagues and external accounting firms.
5. Serve as the primary accountant responsible for all aspects of Fund Accounting and Administration for our (currently) two Private Funds. This includes: processing subscriptions and redemptions from the funds, processing invoices, reviewing monthly financial statements, ensuring funds are within established regulatory guidelines, provide all support for annual external audit of financial statements, and work to become conversant on tax matters affecting these Funds.
6. A goal of the position is to serve in a utility/backup position in various roles for our Portfolio Accounting group: This includes working with the Portfolio Accounting team to develop knowledge in our accounting system (APX) and how we manage and account for our clients records on a daily basis, including interaction with the various Custodian Banks our clients utilize. This also includes understanding our Separately Managed Accounts (SMAs), Pooled Vehicles (Mutual Funds, UCITS and Private Funds), and other vehicles used to track investment performance. Ancillary but significant duties may also include processing of Corporate Actions, Dividends and other Reporting to our Client Team.
7. Other duties as assigned.
1. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
2. Keen awareness of sensitive information being handled and the necessity to avoid any discussions about SAM business issues with anyone outside of SAM Finance, COO or CEO.
3. High energy level, comfortable performing multifaceted projects in conjunction with normal activities.
4. Advocate of process improvement and change for the betterment of the company.
5. Strong analytical and reasoning abilities.
6. Participative management style – advocates team concept.
7. Well-developed interpersonal skills. Ability to get along well with diverse personalities – tactful, mature, flexible.
8. Excellent organizational and communication skills, written and verbal.
9. Time management skills to meet frequent, often short, deadlines.
10. Uses feedback to make appropriate and consistent changes in job skills and behavior.
11. Ability to maintain a high level of attention to detail.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or a related field is required.
Knowledge Requirements: General understanding of areas affecting the Accounting/Finance function, including: General Ledger, GAAP, Payables and Receivables, Banking/Cash Management, proficient with technology accounting systems, Microsoft Office applications, particularly Excel and Word (intermediate or advanced experience).
Experience: A minimum of 3 years of work experience in the field of accounting is required. Public accounting preferred. Past experience with accounts payable and general accountant duties is a plus.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
The physical demands and working conditions described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, kneel, use hands to write, type, finger, handle or feel; speak in person and on the telephone; hear within normal range. The employee must occasionally lift or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. The working environment is that of a temperature-controlled office where the noise level is usually low.